How to Get an FCC GMRS License

by Tara Dooley

Anyone that wants to operate a GMRS, or General Mobile Radio Service, in the United States, must first apply for and be granted a license from the Federal Communication Commission. The licenses are normally issued for five years and can be revoked at any time by the FCC. To request a license you must first fill out form number 605 from the FCC. You can do this either online or through the mail.


Access the Federal Communication Commission website (see Resources below) and perform a site search for GRMS.


Follow the link to the FCC's Commission Registration System (CORES) to receive an FCC Registration Number (FRN). An FRN is required to use the FCC's Universal Licensing System, which is an online alternative to paper registration.


Go to the ULS website and select the "Register" button.


Provide information, including whether you are an individual or business, and enter personal identification information such as a Social Security number or Business Identification Number.


Select a password and personal security question (PSQ), and answer.


Print the information contained in the confirmation page for future records.


Continue to the next step in the FCC filing system and select "ULS." Complete the necessary information to finish the process.


  • check Have the necessary personal information as well as any information for the radios you will be using. Set aside sufficient time to complete the process.
  • check It is important that you completely fill out the necessary information to gain the proper licensing for operating a GRMS radio. Failure to do so could result in fines from the Federal Communications Commission.

Items you will need

About the Author

Tara Dooley has written for various websites since 2008. She has worked as an accountant, after-school director and retail manager in various locations. Dooley holds a Bachelor of Science in business management and finance.

More Articles