How to Enable Pipelining in Firefoxby Contributor
Mozilla is on the cutting edge of Web browsing and 'ups the ante' with improved browser technology every time a new version of their browser, Firefox, is released. Along these same lines is a concept called pipelining, which has to do with improving the performance of page loading. If you enable this feature, it can help diminish the wait time for loading a page.
Prepare for Pipelining in Firefox
Launch Firefox. Type 'about:config' into the address bar and then hit enter.
Watch for a list of preferences to populate the browser window. At the top of the window, there should be a search bar labeled Filter.
Double-click on the preference you want to change. Changing certain preferences may require restarting Firefox.
Enable Pipelining in Firefox
Change network.http.pipelining to True in order for pipelining to be enabled. Right-click the Status indicator (default), and select Toggle. Your Status should now read 'user set' and the Value indicated should be True.
Make sure network.http.proxy.pipelining is set to True. This will ensure the proxy server is enabled for pipelining.
Set the number of pipelining requests to 8 by double-clicking on network.http.pipelining.maxrequests. Eight is the maximum number of pipelining requests currently available.
Return to browsing the Web.
- check Make sure and download the latest version of Firefox (see Resources below) so as to take advantage of its improved features.
- check Check that your computer has the minimum system requirements. Windows users should have Windows 98 or higher, 64 MB of RAM and 50 MB of free disk space. Users of Macs need to be running Mac OS X 10.2 or higher, have 128 MB of RAM and 75 MB of free disk space. Linux kernel 2.2.14, a 233 Mhz processor, 64 MB of RAM and 50 MB of free disk space are necessary for a Linux system.
- check Understand that your personal information is well protected while you surf the Web with Firefox. Mozilla has bundled a forgery detector with the latest version.
- check Learn all about how to put Firefox to best use by reading through the support section of their Web site (see Resources below).
- close The steps offered here were intended for the latest version of the Firefox browser, 184.108.40.206. Applying these directions may not work for prior versions.
- close Pipelining will not work on all servers and proxies, as it is a developmental feature.