How to Watch Video TS Filesby Spanner Spencer
The video files on a DVD are encoded using the MPEG 2 format, which can also be played on most computers using multimedia playback software. However, a DVD's file structure requires the MPEG 2 videos to be stored in a very specific way, beginning with the files all being added to a folder called "Video_TS." As all DVD discs are required to use this specific file and folder structure, most multimedia playback packages for your computer are able to recognize Video_TS folders and decode the MPEG 2 files stored within.
Download an AC3 audio codec to your computer (see Resources), right-click the file and select "Extract Here."
Double-click the setup file and allow the codec to install. This enables your computer to decode the audio component of the DVD files stored in the Video_TS folder.
Download and install GOM Player on your computer, using the "Standard Installation" option when prompted (see Resources). This associates all compatible files with GOM Player, making it your computer's default multimedia player.
Open the Video_TS folder on your computer and double-click the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file. GOM Player automatically launches and displays the "Codec Finder" function. Click the "Find Codec" button. A search page opens in your computer's Web browser with a link to the required MPEG 2 video codec.
Click the link to download the MPEG 2 video codec, and then double-click the file to install it once download has completed.
Click the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file in the Video_TS folder again. GOM Player automatically launches and playback of the Video_TS file begins.
Download and install KMPlayer on your computer and launch it once installation is complete (see Resources).
Click the "File" menu and select "Add Folder."
Navigate to the Video_TS folder on your computer, select it and click "Open." Playback of the files within the Video_TS folder begins.
Media Player Classic
Download and install Media Player Classic on your computer and launch it once installation completes (see Resources).
Click the "File" menu and select "Open."
Navigate to the Video_TS folder on your computer.
Click the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file in the Video_TS folder and click "Open." Playback of the files stored within the Video_TS folder begins.
- check You may not need to install the MPEG 2 and AC3 codecs for a new multimedia playback package if they have previously been installed on your computer by a different multimedia package.
- check Media Player Classic and KMPlayer have the MPEG2 and AC3 codecs built into their software, negating the need to install them separately.
- check You do not need to select each individual file in the Video_TS folder. After clicking the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file, your multimedia playback software detects the other files stored in the folder and opens them automatically as required during playback.
- check An "Audio_TS" folder is also present on a DVD disc, but isn't typically required for playback on your computer.
- photo_camera Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images