How to Use My Memory Card As a SIM Cardby April Khan
Subscriber Identity Module (SIM cards) are small data chips used to activate your phone. Much the same as a memory card, they store important information from your cell phone, such as text messages and contacts. Memory card storage disks (SD cards) are used in the same way as a memory stick or backup disk on your computer. In addition to storing data, memory cards can save external media files, whereas SIM cards cannot. While you cannot use your SD card as a means to activate your phone like a SIM card, you can use your SD card as a backup storage disk like a SIM card.
Purchase a memory card from an electronic store, such as RadioShack, Best Buy or WalMart, or online. Make sure to purchase the SD memory card that fits in your cell phone. Look at your phone's SD card slot and see whether it says "MicroSD," "MiniSD" or "StandardSD.
Turn your cell phone off and then insert the SD card into the SD card slot, contact side down and forward. The contacts are the small copper streaks on the SD card. Then, turn your cell phone back on.
Go into your cell phone's "Main Menu" and navigate to "Phone Book" or "Contacts," depending on what it is called on your phone. Open it to display the names and phone numbers.
Select the first number that you want to save to the SD card. Go to "Options" and select "Send To" or "Export to SD Card." Repeat this action for all of your contacts.
Go to your messages "Inbox" from your "Main Menu." Select the first text message and click "Options." Select "Send To" or "Move To Folder." Select the folder to which you want to send the message. Then, go to the folder to which you've saved your text messages and click "Options," then "Move To Memory Card."
- If your phone does not have an SD card slot, you will not be able to use a memory card in your phone at all.
- Do not put the SD card into the SIM card slot as it may damage the card and the SIM card port.
- You cannot copy your internal programmed data from your SIM to your SD card. This information is programmed into the SIM card and cannot be transferred or removed. The only transferable information that can be saved from your SIM card are contacts and text messages, since they both have options that allow you to change their saved destination to a memory card.
- You can access the information you saved to your memory card by inserting it into the SD card reader on your PC.
- If you do not have an SD card reader for your computer, you can purchase an external one that connects to your PC's USB drive.
- sd cards image by timur1970 from Fotolia.com