How to Use an iPod With a Vizio Sound Barby Jeff Grundy
Apple iPod music players let you download music from a computer and take your favorite tunes with you anywhere you go. The ear buds that ship with the iPod produce reasonably good sound but do not allow you to share your music with others. If you want to play music over your iPod and allow everyone to hear, you must connect an external speaker. A Vizio sound bar is a single-piece speaker system with an integrated amplifier usually used with televisions. However, the thin shape of a Vizio sound bar also makes it easy to carry around and use as a speaker for an iPod.
Power off the iPod. Plug the Vizio sound bar AC adapter into an electrical outlet if you have not already done so.
Connect one end of the 3.5mm audio cable to the headphone jack on the iPod, then connect the other end to the 3.5mm "Audio In" jack on the rear of the Vizio sound bar. Adjust the volume control on the Vizio sound bar so that you will be able to hear sound from the iPod but do not set it too loud until you start playing music from the iPod.
Power on the iPod. Select a track you want to hear, then press or tap the "Play" button on the iPod to begin playing music over the Vizio sound bar.
Adjust the volume on the Vizio sound bar again until the sound level is at an appropriate level.
- If you have an iPod shuffle, you must use a headphone jack adapter before connecting the 3.5mm cable to the music player and the Vizio sound bar. The headphone jack on an iPod shuffle does not use a standard 3.5mm connector like that used by most headphones. Several companies produce the adapter.
Items you will need
- EveryMac: How Can I Connect My iPod to External Speakers or Home Stereo?
- Vizio: 40" 2.0 Home Theater Sound Bar
- Vizio: 32" 2.0 Home Theater Sound Bar
- iLounge: Belkin Headphone Adapter for iPod shuffle 3G
- Chicago Tribune: Three Solutions for the iPod Shuffle's Headphone Problem
- TechCrunch: Another iPod Shuffle Headphone Adapter, This Time From iLuv