How to Use an iPhone on an Old Bose Speaker Stationby Anthony Oster
Bose is a leader in speaker technology, due in part to their proprietary speaker design that amplifies sound through the speaker chamber, much like a flute amplifies a small breath of air into a vibrant timbre. While current Bose speaker stations, such as the SoundDock II or SoundDock for iPod have built-in iPod and iPhone docks, you may connect your iPhone to any Bose speaker system that has an auxiliary input function to listen to your favorite music in vibrant clarity.
Connecting to Docking Models
Plug your Bose system into a power supply, then press and release the dock frame on the front of your Bose system to open the iPhone dock.
Insert the docking connector into the sync/charge port on the bottom of your iPhone. Bose speaker systems with a built-in dock are installed with Apple's old 30-pin dock, but adapters for other docking types, including the new iPhone 5 standard, are available for purchase from Bose.
Launch the Music app from your iPhone, and select a file or playlist to play through your Bose docking speaker system. Your iPhone will charge while connected to the docking station.
Connecting to a Bose Speaker Station Without a Dock
Plug your Bose system into a power supply, then press the "On/Off" button on your system or remote to turn it on.
Insert one end of the auxiliary audio cable into the jack on the Bose system's body marked "Auxiliary In." Then insert the other end of the cable into your iPhone's "Headphone" jack.
Press the "Aux" button on your Bose remote or the front panel of your speaker system to select the iPhone as your primary audio source.
Launch the Music app from your iPhone. Then select a file or playlist to begin playback.
- Set your iPhone's volume to maximum prior to connecting or docking your iPhone to a Bose speaker system. Then adjust the speaker volume on your Bose speakers to your listening preference.
- Accessories, such as the Wave Connect Kit, enable older Bose systems to connect to your iPhone while simultaneously charging it.
- Connecting an iPhone to a Bose speaker system using an auxiliary audio cable will not charge your iPhone.
Items you will need
- 3.5mm Stereo to 3.5mm Stereo Auxiliary Audio Cable
- Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images