How to Use the Fax on a Brother MFC-240Cby Andrew Tennyson
The Brother MFC-240C is a multifunction printer with customizable faxing capabilities. You can send faxes using either the automatic document feeder or the scanner. Before you can receive faxes, set the device’s receive mode.
Sending a Fax Using the Automatic Document Feeder
Press the “Fax” button to switch the MFC-240C to Fax mode. You know you are in Fax mode when the Fax button turns green.
Place the document you want to send face-down into the automatic document feeder.
Dial the number to which you want to fax the document. Use the dial pad to enter the number, and be sure to enter any necessary area and country codes.
Press the “Black Start” button to send a black and white fax or the “Color Start” button to send a color fax.
Sending a Fax Using the Scanner
Press the “Fax” button to enter Fax mode and then lay the first page of your document onto the scanner glass.
Dial the number to which you want to fax the document.
Press the “Black Start” button to scan the first page.
Press “1” to scan another page. Remove the first page, replace it with the second and press “OK.” Press the “Black Start” button again to scan the second page. Repeat this step for each subsequent page you want to scan.
Press “2” to stop scanning pages and fax the document.
Setting Up to Receive Faxes
Press the “Menu” button, select “0” and then select “1” to view the Fax mode screen.
Press the arrow keys to select the mode you want. Options include Fax Only, Fax/Tel, External TAD and Manual. The mode you need varies depending on your telephone service and how you intend to use the MFC-240C. Select "Fax Only" if the telephone line connected to the MFC-240C is a dedicated fax line. If the line is used for both faxing and telephone calls, select "Fax/Tel," and the MFC-240C will automatically detect whether the incoming call is from a fax machine or telephone. If you're unsure which mode to select, select "Fax/Tel."
Press “OK” and then press “Stop/Exit” to finish preparing the Brother MFC-240C to receive faxes.
- While a fax is sending, you can cancel the job at any time by pressing the “Stop/Exit” button.
- You can send color faxes only to compatible fax machines. Color fax information is sent directly and is not stored in the MFC-240C’s memory.
- The LCD shows the amount of available memory whenever you enter Fax mode. If you attempt to send a fax and the memory is full, the fax is sent in real time and not saved to the device’s memory.
- The quantity of pages you can save to memory at any given time varies depending on the amount of writing on a page. Pages with more text take up more space in the MFC-240C’s memory.
- If you send a fax and find its contents too light or dark, adjust the contrast settings on the fax machine. Press the “Fax” button to enter Fax mode, load your document into the automatic document feeder or place it on the scanner. Press “Menu | 2 | 2 | 1” and then use the arrow keys to select “Auto,” “Light” or “Dark” to change the contrast setting. Press “OK” to save your changes.
- You can change the default fax resolution on the device which impacts the number of faxes that can be stored in the machine’s memory. A higher default resolution means fewer pages can be stored in memory, while a lower one means more pages can be stored in memory. Press the “Fax” button to enter Fax mode. Press “Menu | 2 | 2 | 2” and use the arrow keys to select the resolution you want to use. Press “OK.”
- Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images