How to Update Insignia TV Firmware
By Tyson Cliffton
A firmware upgrade is the first method you should use to try and fix any problems you may be experiencing with your Insignia television. A firmware upgrade updates the operating system on your Insignia television, and is meant to fix any known bugs or issues with a television after it has been manufactured and sold. Updating your firmware is easy to do, takes hardly any time at all, and should leave your Insignia television running better than the day you took it out of the box.
Plug your USB flash drive into your computer.
Download the necessary firmware from the Insignia website. If a dialogue box pops up, save the firmware update to your flash drive. When the firmware is done downloading to your flash drive, remove it from your computer.
Make sure your television is turned off, but is still plugged into a power outlet.
Plug the flash drive into an available USB port on the left side of your Insignia television. The flap may be covered, so you may need to move a rubber or plastic piece out of the way.
Turn your Insignia television on. The "F/W USB Upgrade" dialogue box will appear on your television screen.
Highlight the "Yes" option using your remote control. Your firmware update will begin. When your firmware update is complete, a dialogue box will pop up telling you the update has finished.
Remove your flash drive from your Insignia television.
Click "Enter" on the remote. The television will restart. It may take a little bit of time for your television to boot back up. When your television screen pops up as it normally does, your update is complete.
- After the firmware update for your Insignia television has completed successfully, plug your flash drive into a computer and format it before using it for any other purposes.
- Any personal settings you had previously set up on your Insignia television will be erased as part of the firmware update. You will need to set these up again.
- If your television locks up during any part of the firmware upgrade, or any other problems occur, unplug your flash drive, turn off your computer, and start the process again.
- While the firmware upgrade is installing on your television, do not press buttons on your remote control or on your Insignia television console until the process is complete.
- Insignia recommends downloading firmware on computers running at least Windows XP operating system, or the Mac 10.3 operating system.
Tyson Cliffton has been writing professionally since 2001. His work has been published at thealestle.com and KMOX.com. Cliffton earned a Bachelor of Science in mass communications from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville and a Master of Arts in communication from the University of Illinois at Springfield. He is pursuing a Master of Business Administration in management and leadership from Webster University.