How to Turn Off Lenovo Face Recognitionby Kammy Pow
Lenovo IdeaPad laptops and netbooks come pre-installed with the VeriFace face-recognition software, which scans the unique features of a user's face by webcam in order to authenticate Windows users. Some users like the added security VeriFace provides, which makes deception difficult. Other users find VeriFace a hassle when improperly configured recognition settings or software glitches cause their computers to hang. If VeriFace becomes a problem, you can disable the program temporarily through the System Configuration applet. In other cases, you may have to boot into Windows Safe Mode to disable and remove VeriFace.
Disable VeriFace Version 3.6 Running Windows XP/Vista/7/8
Open VeriFace and click on the “Settings” button.
Click on “Password Manager” in the navigation pane.
Uncheck the “Take the face authentication action every time you open Password Manager” option under “Start Options.”
Close the program and log off the computer.
Log in to the computer again. You should be prompted to enter your Windows username and password.
Disable VeriFace from Windows Startup
Click "Start," type "msconfig" in the search box and press "Enter." In Windows 8, point the mouse in the upper right corner of the Start screen to move the mouse pointer down and then click on "Search." Type "msconfig" in the box and press "Enter."
Click on the "Startup" tab and scroll down the list to "Lenovo VeriFace" (Windows 7 and 8), "PManage" (Windows XP) or "VeriFaceManager" (Windows Vista). Uncheck the box to disable the program from Windows Startup. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to exit System Configuration.
Restart the computer. You should be prompted to enter your Windows username and password.
Disable or Uninstall VeriFace Version 4.0 from Windows Safe Mode
Restart the computer.
Hold down the “F8” key before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will have to restart the computer and repeat the process. When you arrive at the "Advanced Options" screen, scroll down to “Safe Mode with Networking” and press “Enter.”
Click "Start" and type "msconfig" in the "Search" box.
Click the "Startup" tab and then uncheck "Lenovo VeriFace" (Windows 7/8), "PManage" (Windows XP) or "VeriFaceManager" (Vista) from the program list. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to exit System Configuration.
Restart the computer when prompted.
- If disabling the program does not resolve your authentication issues, uninstall the program from Safe Mode.
- If you are able to boot into Windows normally and want to disable VeriFace entirely, you must uninstall the program through the "Uninstall or Change Program" applet from the Control Panel.
- Lenovo: Support: Enable/Disable Veriface Autologin
- Should I Remove It?: VeriFace from Lenovo
- Lenovo: Support: How to Cancel the Display of Veriface 4.0 in the System Tray
- Lenovo: Support: Bypass Wrong Configured Veriface Authentication
- Lenovo: Support: How to Uninstall Veriface Lenovo B Series or V Series Hung “Please Wait” Screen Issue
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images