How Do I Find Someone's Blog?by Dan Ketchum
Even in a high-tech world, the old-fashioned way sometimes serves best. People you know are usually glad to share their public blogs. Without the benefit of one-on-one contact, you must turn to targeted Web searches and a little bit of harmless social media snooping to find a particular blog. Start with the simplest solution and get a little more intensive until you hit blogging gold.
Visit the person's social media profiles if you're seeking the blog of an acquaintance or public figure. Profiles on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+ all allow the profile creators to list their official websites. If the person you seek has a social media presence and a blog she wants reads, chances are it'll be listed here.
Visit the blog host, if you have that information. For example, if you know that the blog is hosted by WordPress, Tumblr or LiveJournal, visit the host in question and search for the name. If you know the type of content on the blog, search for keywords -- such as “fantasy baseball draft,” “tech stocks” or “horror movie reviews” -- or tags that define the subject matter.
Enter the person's name into a search engine or directory that caters specifically to blogs. Free services such as IceRocket limit their searches to user-generated content, and you can use Google News for this purpose by entering your search terms, clicking “All News” and selecting “Blogs.” Blog directories such as Best of the Web Blogs, Bloggeries and Globe of Blogs allow you to search vast catalogs of blogs by subject or enter specific search terms.
- Sometimes, bloggers don't want their blogs to be found. Major blog hosts offer options such as private or locked blogs, meant for personal journal purposes or to be read by invitation only. These private blogs are not listed on search engines or directories.
- Be specific in your search. On search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo, put quotation marks around the name of the blog's author or subject -- such as “marcia jane johnson” -- to search for a phrase in specific word order. Use “-” to exclude words from your search, such as “marcia johnson - football.”
- WordPress: What Would You Like to Find?
- Tumblr: Staff: Check It Out!: Search!!!!
- Search Engine Land: Google Blog Search Now Within Google News Search
- Search Engine Journal: 23 Blog Directories to Submit Your Blog to
- Google: Advanced Search
- Bing: Advanced Search Options
- Yahoo!: Get More From Yahoo Search
- LiveJournal: Search
- Chris Jackson/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images