How to Set Up a Westell 6100 DSL Modemby Leighton Sawatzky
The Westell 6100 DSL modem is one of the modems available from Verizon with a high-speed Internet subscription. It is a fairly basic DSL modem with no advanced features, such as wireless networking. But like other DSL modems, the Westell 6100 requires some setup and configuration before you can get onto the Internet. It's a fairly simple process that should take less than 30 minutes.
Insert the Verizon High Speed Internet CD into your computer. The installation program should start up automatically. If it doesn't, run "setup.exe" from the CD directory.
Click the "Setup" button to begin the installation process. Follow the on-screen prompts to configure your computer to use Verizon high-speed Internet.
Connect the small, round jack from the power supply to the circular plug on the back of the Westell 6100. Plug the other end into a power outlet.
Connect one end of the telephone cable to a phone outlet. Plug the other end into the phone jack on the back of the DSL modem.
Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the yellow Ethernet port on the back of the Westell 6100. Connect the other end to an Ethernet port on your computer.
Turn the power switch on the back of the modem to the "On" position and wait until the "Power," "DSL," "Ethernet" and "Internet" lights on the front of the Westell 6100 turn steady green.
- Don't forget to install DSL filters on phone lines used by devices other than your Westell 6100, such as phones and answering machines. Plug the filter into the phone outlet, then plug the phone, etc., into the filter.
- Check the resource section for detailed information on how to set up your Verizon Internet connection and home network.
- If you have a router, you can plug the Ethernet cable into the router instead of your computer. Then you can connect multiple computers to the Internet through the router.
- These instructions also apply to the Westell 6110 model.
- adsl image by Jean-Michel POUGET from Fotolia.com