How to Send Movies to Your TV via WiFiby Maya Austen
You no longer have to subscribe to the premium channels with a cable or satellite TV service to enjoy a wide selection of movies on your TV. Gone are the days where you actually had to leave your home to rent movies from the video store to get movies on demand. Now services and technology are available that allow you to stream movies over the Internet and send them to your TV via WiFi. It’s a whole new world.
Hook up your router to your computer and modem. Some routers are equipped with an integrated modem. A router is a device that allows you to share a single Internet signal among multiple devices. Wireless routers allow you to share the signal via WiFi instead of cables. Routers work only with broadband Internet service.
Log into your router and create a network name (SSID) and security key for your home network.
Open an account with a video streaming service such as Netflix, HuluPlus or Blockbuster On Demand.
Buy a compatible streaming player or a device (game console, Blu-ray player, TV or set top box) equipped with streaming functionality.
Hook up the streaming device to your TV set. This is usually done with AV cables, component video cables or an HDMI cable. If you are using an HDTV with stream functionality, skip this step.
Connect the streaming device to your home network. Go into the device’s menu and configuring its network settings to detect your wireless home network. The specifics of this process vary depending upon the type of device you are using.
Log into your video streaming service account. Activate your streaming device on your account. You will now be able to stream movies, on demand, to your TV.
- Netflix-ready devices include the Sony PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 video game consoles; certain models of Panasonic, Phillips, Pioneer, Samsung and Sony Blu-ray players; certain models of Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony HDTVs; TiVo, Apple TV, Logitech Revue, and the Roku and Sony streaming player.
- Hulu Plus-compatible devices include Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 video game consoles; certain models of Pansonic, Samsung and Sony Blu-ray players and TVs; TiVo and Roku streaming player.
- Blockbuster On Demand-compatible devices include certain models of Phillips, Samsung and Vizio Blu-ray players and TVs; and TiVo.
- Check the website of the streaming service you are using for a complete list of compatible devices.
- Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images