How to Scan With a BlackBerryby Andrew Tennyson
On BlackBerry devices running the BlackBerry 10 operating system, including the Z10 and Q10, take advantage of the native Smart Tags app to scan QR codes and NFC tags. The Smart Tags app uses your BlackBerry’s camera to scan items. You can also download third-party scanning apps to scan documents, business cards and other physical items.
Remove any cases or other accessories that might block your BlackBerry’s camera. The camera lens needs to be completely unobstructed in order to scan items properly.
Open the “Smart Tags” app on your BlackBerry device to scan a QR code.
Tap the “QR Code” icon in the Smart Tags app.
Hold your BlackBerry over the QR code so that all four corners of the code fit onto your screen. Once all four corners are visible, the Smart Tags app automatically scans and interprets the QR code and imports relevant fields so that you can edit and save them.
- To scan an NFC tag, tap the back side of your BlackBerry against the tag. The device automatically scans and interprets the tag and displays any available information on your screen.
- You can also use your BlackBerry’s camera to scan documents and other physical items. Download one of several document-scanning applications from the BlackBerry World app store (links in Resources). Some apps scan documents to text, while others scan to PDF and image files. Many scan to multiple file types.
- When you scan either type of smart tag, the results are automatically stored in the Smart Tags app for your records or for future use. If you no longer want to store a smart tag on your device, open the Smart Tags app, select the tag or tags to delete and tap the “Trash” icon to delete them.
- To edit an existing smart tag, open the Smart Tags app, select the tag to edit, click the “Edit” icon and then change the provided fields. The Edit icon resembles a pencil.
- On devices running older BlackBerry operating systems, including BlackBerry 7.x, in order to scan documents and QR codes you need to download a third-party application from the BlackBerry World store.