How to Get Rid of Facebook Profile Links From Mac Address Booksby Avery Martin
Mac OS X 10.8, known as Mountain Lion, provides integration with Facebook and other social media sites. Part of the process of integrating your Mac with Facebook involves downloading your Facebook friends' information to your Mac Contacts application. After you download that information from Facebook, a profile link for each of your friends displays in the address book. To remove the link, you must disable the downloading of Facebook friends' information to your Mac Contacts application. Several options exist for disabling contacts -- remove Facebook contact completely, delete the link only and keep your contacts, or remove the Facebook integration with your Mac.
Click "Launchpad" in the Dock and select "Contacts."
Select the "Contacts" menu. Select "Preferences" and click the "Accounts" tab.
Click on your Facebook account from the sidebar.
Uncheck the "Enable This Account" box to remove only the profile links from your Contacts book while keeping the contact information intact. Click the "-" button to remove the Facebook account from your Contacts book entirely and delete all your Facebook contacts. Contacts entered through other means won't be affected.
Remove Contacts or Integration
Click "Launchpad" in the Dock and select "System Preferences."
Select the "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" option in the Internet & Wireless section.
Select "Facebook" from the sidebar.
Click the "-" button to remove the Facebook integration. If you want to delete only the contacts and associated profile links, uncheck the "Contacts" box and select "Delete From Mac."
- Information in this article applies to Mac's running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Apple: OS X Mountain Lion -- 200+ New Features
- OSXDaily: Set Up Facebook Integration on Your Mac With OS X Mountain Lion
- Apple Support: OS X Mountain Lion -- Set Up iCloud, Twitter, Facebook, and Other Web Accounts
- MacWorld: Do More With Mountain Lion's Contacts
- Apple Support: OS X Mountain Lion -- Mail, Contacts & Calendars Preferences
- Pinnacle Pictures/Digital Vision/Getty Images