How to Replace the Ballast in a Samsung DLPby Joseph Eitel
A television's ballast is a device connected to the lamp that provides an electric current, keeping the lamp operational. If you have a new lamp that isn't working properly, then you will more than likely need to replace the ballast. Replacing your television's ballast is less challenging than working with other parts of a Samsung television, and is something that you should be able to do yourself.
Remove the back panel of your Samsung DLP television, and then remove the lamp.
Carefully unscrew the cover sensor switch, which should be located near the bottom-right side.
Remove the two screws holding the lamp connector in place and slide it out.
Remove the screws holding the inside unit of the television in place, and very carefully ease the right side out, allowing access to the ballast.
Unscrew the circuit board, remove the two cables going to the existing ballast and replace it with the new ballast in the same fashion.
Put the inside unit of the television back in place and screw it in.
Reattach the cover sensor switch.
Reinstall the lamp and screw the back panel of the television back into position.
- Before replacing your ballast be sure that the problem with your television is not simply a faulty lamp.
- The ballast will always be located on top of a large cooling fan.
- To access the ballast you will not need to remove any wires or cables.
- It is best to place all screws that you remove on a flat surface in the same pattern that they were removed from so as not to lose any and to remember where each screw goes.
- Always be sure that your television is unplugged before removing the back panel.
- Take extra caution when working on the television's ballast, and never touch any of the electronics within the device.