How to Do the Relationship Thing on Facebookby Micah McDunnigan
Facebook is all about connections between people. The majority of your connections on Facebook will be friendships, but you might have one particularly special relationship with another person you want to highlight to the rest of your friends and everyone else on the social networking site. You can add this relationship to your Facebook account by editing the relationship fields of your profile information.
Log into your Facebook account then go to your Timeline.
Click on the "Update Info" button to the right of your name.
Click on the "Edit" button at the top of the "Relationships and Family" box, then scroll down the form that will appear until you see the "Relationship Status" label and the drop down menu next to it.
Click on the drop down menu next to "Relationship Status" and select your current relationship status from the options in the list. If you wish to add the person with whom you are in that relationship, type their name into the text field below the drop down menu.
Click the "Save" button to save your changes. The relationship status you selected will immediately display on your Facebook Timeline. If you added the name of the person with whom you were in the relationship, Facebook will send him or her a request to confirm that he or she is in a relationship with you. After that person confirms the request, Facebook will display your names on each other's profiles next to the relationship status you selected.
- check If the person you indicated as your significant other declines to confirm your relationship, Facebook will continue to list your relationship status as "In a Relationship."
- check You can tell if someone declined your request by clicking the "Edit" button for the "Basic Information" box in your "About" section. If you no longer see the person's name in the "Relationship Status" section of the form, that person declined your request. If the name is still there, then that person has not yet acted on your request.
- check You can end a relationship on Facebook at any time. You simply have to edit your basic information, delete the other person's name and select a different relationship status. This will remove your name from the other person's profile, which will continue to display "In a Relationship" until your former significant other changes it.
- check If you want to select a different relationship status, such as engaged or married, with the same person, you can edit your basic information to make the change. Facebook will generate a request to that person, asking to confirm the new relationship status. Until the person confirms the status, your profile will display the new status without the other person's name and the other person's profile will show the previous relationship status without your name. Once the person confirms the new relationship status, the new relationship status with your respective names will show on your profiles.
- photo_camera Nick White/Digital Vision/Getty Images