How to Program a GE Universal Remote Controlby Michelle CarvoUpdated October 03, 2017
GE universal remote controls can be programmed to control multiple devices by simply pressing a button to switch between devices. You can program your GE universal remote for your TV, cable or satellite box or other device.
Program for TVs
GE universal remote control devices work with most HDTVs and standard TVs.
- Open your GE universal remote control’s battery compartment and note whether it displays CL4 or CL3 under the batteries. Go to the byjasco.com and click “Lookup CL3 Codes” or “Lookup CL4 Codes” depending on the number displayed.
- Click “Select a category” under the “Device Category” dropdown, then “TV.”
- Click “Select a brand” under the Brand Name”category, then select your TV’s brand.
- Wait for byjasco to locate codes for your device. Take note of the first five to seven codes found as one of these will work for programming your device.
- Press and hold the “Setup” button on your GE universal remote control until the red light turns on. Release the button.
- Press the “TV” button on your remote and type in the CL3 or CL4 code. As a test, press the “TV” button on the remote, then press the “Volume Up” or “Volume Down” button. If your TV’s volume adjusts, then your GE remote has been successfully programmed. If not, repeat the previous two steps and try a different code until you can adjust the volume successfully.
Program for Cable Boxes
GE universal remote control devices also support most cable boxes, although these can be hard to set up since there are many different types of cable boxes on the market with very specific codes.
- Open your remote control’s battery compartment to determine whether it supports CL4 or CL3 codes. Go to byjasco.com’s website and then select either “Lookup CL3 Codes” or “Lookup CL4 Codes.”
- Click the “Select a category” option, select “SAT/CBL,”then select the brand name for your cable box.
- Write down the first five to seven device program codes. One of these codes will almost always work.
- Press and hold down the “Setup” button on your GE remote until the red light on the remote lights up. Release the button.
- Press the “SAT/CBL” button and then type in the first CL3 or CL4 code listed. Press the “SAT/CBL” button and then test it, for instance, by pressing the “Channel Up” or “Channel Down” button on your remote. If it works, then you are done. It not, repeat the procedure with a different code.
Program for Other Devices
Many GE universal remotes can also be programmed with other devices on the AUX remote control button. You can program DVD players, Blu-ray players and audio devices with this button.
Follow the same procedure to find a CL3 or CL4 code on your remote, and look it up at byjasco.com. If there's no code identified under your remote's battery compartment, assume that your GE remote uses CL4 codes. When it comes time to enter the code, press your remote's "AUX" button, then type in the code.
- If your exact product isn't listed, try the codes for other products from the same manufacturer. Typically a manufacturer will use similar programming codes for all of their products.
- GE remotes are also sold under the brand name Jasco.
Items you will need
- Universal Remote Control