How to Import From Canon EOS Digital Rebel to iPhoto
By Michelle Carvo
Updated October 03, 2017
Import photos from your Canon EOS Digital Rebel camera to your Mac’s iPhoto application using one of three import methods.
Import Using the EOS Digital Rebel Camera and Cable
Import from your EOS Digital Rebel camera to iPhoto by using a USB cable that plugs into your camera and your Mac. This cable is usually included with your camera but if you have lost yours, you can buy another by going on Canon’s website and looking up the cable type for your specific EOS Digital Rebel camera. Purchase it from Canon or another website or electronics store.
- Plug the USB cable into the cable port on your camera and plug the other end of the cable into a USB port on your Mac. Turn on your camera.
- Launch the iPhoto app on your Mac, click the “File” button, then “Import to Library.”
- Select the Canon Rebel camera under “Devices,” then select all the photos on the camera that you want to import into iPhoto. Note that you can hold down the “Command” button on your Mac to select multiple photos at once.
- Click the “Import” button to begin importing these images.
Import Using SD Card
Import straight from the SD card if you do not have a cable for your Rebel camera and have an SD slot on your Mac computer. If your Mac doesn't have an SD slot, purchase a USB SD card reader and plug this into a USB port on your Mac.
- Plug the SD card into the SD card reader or slot on your Mac.
- Launch the iPhoto app and then click “File” followed by “Import to Library.”
- Select the SD card for your Canon Rebel under “Devices” and then select all of the photos on the SD card that you want to import into iPhoto. Hold down the “Command” button to select multiple photos.
- Click the “Import” button to import these images.
Import Using the EOS Utility
EOS Digital Rebel cameras with built-in Wi-Fi connectivity can use Canon’s EOS Utility app to transfer photos from the camera to the Mac over a wireless network. Download the EOS Utility app from Canon’s website (see Resources) and install it on your Mac. Turn on your EOS Digital Rebel camera.
- Launch the EOS Utility app on your Mac and click “Connect to camera” to connect your computer to your camera. Select the photos from your camera in the Utility app and then click to import these images to a folder on your Mac’s Desktop.
- Launch iPhoto and click “File” and then “Import”.
- Navigate to the Desktop folder on your Mac and then select the photos to import. Click “Import” to import these images to your iPhoto library.
Michelle Carvo has been writing professionally since 2006, contributing to a variety of websites. She is also a technical writer with extensive experience in Android/iPhone development and PC repair. Carvo holds a Bachelor of Science in computer information systems from the University of Michigan-Flint and works as an IT project manager.