How to Find Free Stuff On Craigslistby Contributor
There's nothing better than free stuff, and you can find plenty of it on the popular Web site Craigslist. You need to have good timing and some luck to secure the most desirable free items. Here's how to find free stuff on Craigslist.
Find Ads for Free Stuff
Go to Craigslist to begin your search for free stuff (view the link in Resources below).
Find ads in your area by selecting your city, state or country from the Craigslist home page.
Select the "Free" link to see a listing of all the free stuff on Craigslist.
Verify the Information
Look at ads and write down details like phone numbers, specifics about the offer and email addresses.
Email or call the owner to confirm the details of the free offer. Usually there's a catch, such as you have to go pick up the item or it is badly damaged. But beggars can't be choosers.
Decline politely if the offer is not what you want.
Arrange for a pickup of the free item(s) in a public place. If you must meet at someone's house, always go during the daytime.
Take a friend with you to a pickup location. Not only will this ensure your safety, but it may also be necessary if you are moving large objects.
- check Because one person's junk is another's treasure, keeping expectations low is a great way to approach these free transactions.
- check Look for ads that offer something as a trade-off for the free item. For example, most people posting ads offering free couches or other furniture want you to come pick the item up to take it off their hands.
- close Do not provide owners with your personal information. All you typically need to share is your first name and phone number or email address. There is no need to give your physical address or place of employment, so be wary of those who ask for too much information.
- close Avoid scams by researching common fraud techniques (see the link in Resources below) on the Craigslist Web site.
- close If an ad sounds too good to be true, it probably is.