How to Forward Your Voice Mail to Google Voiceby ContributorUpdated July 21, 2017
Google Voice is a free, Web-based application with an interface similar to that of Gmail, which is also a Google product. Features included with the Google Voice service include voice mail, conference calling, call screening and call blocking. You need an established U.S. telephone number to activate a new Google Voice account. Once your account is active, you can forward your voice mail from your cellphone to Google Voice.
Pick up your cellphone handset, wait for the dial tone and then dial the call forwarding code assigned by your mobile carrier. The following list includes the codes for most mobile carriers.
- Alltel: "*71" plus 10-digit Google Voice number followed by the "#" symbol
- AT&T and T-Mobile: "_004_1" plus 10-digit Google Voice number followed by the "#" symbol
- Verizon: "*711" plus 10-digit Google Voice number followed by the "#" symbol
- US Cellular: "*74" plus 10-digit Google Voice number followed by the "#" symbol
- Sprint: Call Sprint Tech Support at 888-211-4727 and ask to have the "Call Forward Busy" and "Call Forward No Answer" features activated on your cellphone so your calls can be forwarded to Google Voice. Ask the Sprint agent to forward your calls to your 10-digit Google Voice number.
Dial the "*" and "#" symbols as indicated in the above code sequences. After you've entered the code and your Google Voice number, your phone will display a message confirming that call forwarding has been set up.
Log in to your Google Voice account to check for voice mail messages. Unanswered calls on your cellphone are automatically forward to your Google Voice number. Google Voice will take a message, transcribe it to text whenever possible and send the message to the email address that you set up for your account.
Turn off call screening and enable "Do Not Disturb" in Google Voice. Otherwise, Google will try to forward the call back to you before prompting the caller to leave a voice mail message.
Items you will need
- Google Voice account
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images