How to Force iPod Touch into Recovery Modeby ContributorUpdated July 21, 2017
The iPod Touch has a problem known as the "white screen of death." Just like any electronic media device, the iPod Touch can freeze up to a completely inoperable state. Sometimes this happens while you are updating or attempting to restore your iPod Touch. Apple recommends you force the device into recovery mode once it freezes.
Open iTunes on your computer and plug the iPod's USB charging cable to the computer but not into your iPod.
Turn the iPod off. Press and hold the "Sleep/Wake" button (at the top left corner) for approximately 10 seconds until the screen says "slide to power off." Slide to power off your iPod. Press and hold down the "Sleep/Wake" and "Home" buttons at the same time to power off the device if you do not get the slider.
Force into recovery mode. Press and hold the "Home" button (in the front on the bottom) for approximately 10 seconds until you get the image of a USB cable pointing toward the iTunes logo on the screen. Plug the USB into your iPod. If you do not get this, try holding the "Home" button down and at the same time plugging the other half of the USB cable into the iPod waiting for a message in iTunes.
Follow instructions in iTunes. Once you plug the iPod into the computer, you should get a message saying, "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes." Click "OK" in iTunes and wait for the iPod to be restored.
Try using another USB port on the computer if the iPod doesn't show up in iTunes or you don't get the recovery mode message
Be sure you have all of your content backed up in iTunes on the computer before you attempt a forced recovery mode. All data will be erased from the iPod once the restore is completed.
- Try using another USB port on the computer if the iPod doesn't show up in iTunes or you don't get the recovery mode message
- Be sure you have all of your content backed up in iTunes on the computer before you attempt a forced recovery mode. All data will be erased from the iPod once the restore is completed.
Items you will need
- iPod Touch
- Computer running: Windows XP (service pack 2+) or Vista
- Mac running: Mac OS X 10.4.11 or above
- USB charging cable that came with the iPod
- iTunes installed on computer