How to Create a Yahoo Messenger Accountby Paul Higgins
To be able to chat on Yahoo Messenger, you first need to create a Yahoo ID, or username. Do so by clicking on the "Get a New Yahoo ID" link in Yahoo Messenger and filling out a registration form.
Download and install [Yahoo Messenger](https://messenger.yahoo.com/download/). As of publication, the latest version is Yahoo Messenger 11.5. Open the application and click the "Get a New Yahoo ID" link to launch your default browser and load the registration form.
Read the letters hidden in the picture and type them in the text field. If you have trouble reading the code, click on "Audio Code" to hear the letters. Click on "Submit Code" to access the phone verification page.
Click on the "Send SMS" button to receive a verification code by text message. Alternatively, if you would rather receive an automated voice call, click on the "Call You" link.
Enter the code you Yahoo provides you, and click on the "Submit Code" button. You have now finished the Yahoo ID creation process.
Open Yahoo Messenger again and type in your Yahoo ID and password. Click on the "Sign In" button to log in to the service.
- In addition to Yahoo Messenger, your new Yahoo ID also lets you log in to Yahoo's other online services, such as Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Answers or Flickr.
- To help protect your account, Yahoo recommends that you choose a password that is over eight characters long and includes numbers and mixed case. In addition, your password should be hard to guess and unique from other passwords you may use to log in to other websites.
- Other users can view your Yahoo ID -- either directly in Yahoo Messenger or while using other services such as Yahoo Mail or Yahoo Answers. Therefore, do not choose an ID that is offensive or that includes personal information you do not want to disclose.
- You cannot create your own Yahoo ID if you are under the age of 13. In this case, ask your parents to register a family account on your behalf.
- Yahoo may cancel accounts users have created by supplying fake or incorrect personal information.
- Image courtesy of Yahoo