How to Connect a Flat-Screen Monitor to a Cable Boxby Christopher Kennedy
If you have a spare flat screen monitor and want to save money on a television for a small office or kitchen, you can re-purpose that monitor with the addition of a cable box. A digital or RCA connection will allow for the easy transition from a computer component to a home entertainment device.
Identify if your monitor and cable box has DVI or HDMI or RCA/Composite video inputs.
Select the appropriate cable for the setup you are going to use. If your monitor has a DVI output, you will need a DVI to HDMI converter.
Power down both the monitor and cable box.
Connect the selected cable to DVI IN or HDMI IN or RCA IN on your flat screen monitor. If you are using RCA cables, make sure you plug each cable into the plug with the corresponding color.
Power on both your monitor and cable box and test to see if you are receiving a video signal. If the monitor does not auto-detect the input, manually switch it to the correct input.
Determine if your flat screen monitor has built-in speakers. If these speakers are inadequate or your monitor does not come with built-in speakers, you can connect external computer speakers to this setup by simply plugging the 3.5mm plug into your cable box's headphone jack. If your cable box does not come equipped with a headphone jack, you can purchase a female 3.5mm to male RCA plug.
Plug your speakers into the female end of the 3.5mm to RCA plug, and the RCA end into the AUDIO OUT on your cable box.
Test the connection on different channels to confirm a correct setup.
- With this setup, your cable box's remote control will only control the cable box. This setup is ideal for a small office or kitchen where the monitor's power button and speaker's volume control are in easy reach, since they cannot be controlled remotely.
Items you will need
- Flat screen monitor with DVI or HDMI or RCA/Composite video inputs
- Cable box with HDMI or RCA/Composite outputs
- Male to Male HDMI or RCA cables
- DVI to HDMI converter (optional)
- External speakers (optional)
- Female 3.5mm to male RCA audio cable (optional)
- Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images