How to Charge a Casio Camera Without a Charger
By Jeff Grundy
Casio digital cameras provide an affordable way for users to capture high-resolution photo memories of places they visit or people they meet. Although not as expensive as models from some other manufacturers, Casio digital cameras take good quality pictures and offer many convenient and advanced features. Once such feature allows you to charge the camera using your PC or laptop. Even if you don’t have the camera charger handy, you can still charge the device using the same USB data cable you use to transfer pictures to the computer.
Power off the Casio digital camera.
Connect the large, flat end of a USB data cable to an empty USB port on your desktop or laptop computer.
Open the port cover door on the side of the Casio digital camera. Connect the small mini-plug end of the data cable to the "USB/AV" port. After you connect the data cable to the camera, the LED light on the rear of the camera should turn red and remain lit during the charging process.
Disconnect the USB data cable from the camera and the PC after the back lamp LED on the rear of the camera turns off. Once the back lamp LED turns off, charging is complete.
- Some Casio digital cameras require that you specify a battery type before you can charge the unit with the USB cable. To do this, press "Menu," and then press the right-arrow button to highlight the "Set Up" tab in the display menu. Press the down-arrow key to highlight the "Battery Type" option, then press the "Enter" button. Select the "Rechargeable" or other similarly named option, then press "Enter."
- If you power on the camera while charging, the PC should detect the camera and configure its memory card as a removable storage device automatically. Charging should continue even if you power on the camera. However, you may need to disconnect the USB cable from the computer and reconnect it if connecting the camera to the PC for the first time.
- If you have not used your Casio digital camera for a long time, it could take more than five hours to charge the battery completely using the USB cable. Additionally, charging could take longer if you have many USB devices connected to the computer that draw current from the PC's power supply. Therefore, to speed up charging of batteries not used for an extended period, disconnect all unnecessary devices before connecting the Casio digital camera to the computer with the USB cable.
- In some cases, the back lamp LED may flash red after you connect the USB cable to the camera and the computer, instead of remaining lit. This behavior indicates abnormally high temperature in the battery compartment or a possible battery problem. In this situation, you cannot charge the camera with the USB cable. Disconnect the USB cable from the camera and computer. Wait for a while for the camera to cool down or replace the rechargeable batteries and then try again to charge the camera.
- You cannot charge a Casio digital camera if using standard disposable alkaline batteries. Attempting to do so could cause the batteries to overheat and damage the battery compartment.
Jeff Grundy has been writing computer-related articles and tutorials since 1995. Since that time, Grundy has written many guides to using various applications that are published on numerous how-to and tutorial sites. Born and raised in South Georgia, Grundy holds a Master of Science degree in mathematics from the Georgia Institute of Technology.