How to Change a TSP Contribution Online

By Tammy Clevenger

TSP is the federal Thrift Savings Plan, which provides federal employees the opportunity to define a percentage of their pay to be automatically deducted from their paychecks and deposited into a TSP account. Online access to your TSP account is determined by the federal agency that pays you. For example, if you are active military, you can check the MyPay website at and change your contribution percentage from this site. Check with your Human Resources specialist for the correct URL for the website for your agency, as well as any other information you might need to log into the site.

Step 1

Open a Web browser and navigate to your TSP site. For military personnel, navigate to the "myPay" site.

Step 2

Type your login ID into the "LoginID" input box.

Step 3

Type your password into the "Password" input box and click "Go." Your account page opens.

Step 4

Type the new percentage of the amount to be withheld from your check into the "Contribution" input box. For example, if you now contribute 5 percent and want to increase the amount by 2 percent, type 7 percent into the input box.

Click "Submit." Your contribution is updated. A notification appears indicating when the change will take effect.