How to Calibrate a Brother DSmobile 600by Andrew Tennyson
Scanner calibration ensures the device reads and reproduces your documents and photos as accurately as possible. It is especially necessary to calibrate your Brother DSmobile 600 scanner when you first install the device and any time you connect it to a new computer. The DSmobile 600 comes with a black and white sheet of glossy paper designed to assist in the calibration process.
Open the DSmobileSCAN II application that came with the DSmobile 600 scanner. If you installed the program using the default setup, there may be a program icon on your desktop. If not, click the icon in the Notification Area your Task Bar. The icon is a square with a green and white pattern.
Click the green “Scan” button in DSmobileSCAN II to initiate the calibration process. A prompt appears on your screen at this point asking you to insert the calibration sheet.
Insert the calibration sheet face-down into the scanner with the black bars facing down and the arrow pointing toward the scanner.
Click the “Calibrate” button to have the DSmobile 600 scan the calibration sheet and adjust its settings accordingly. When the calibration process is complete, a message appears on your screen.
Click “OK” to finish the calibration process.
- If you don’t already have the DSmobileSCAN II application on your computer, it is included on the disc that came with the scanner. If you no longer have the disc, you can download the application directly from Brother’s Online Solutions Center (link in Resources). Select your computer’s operating system on the provided list and click “Search.” Scroll down to the Utilities section and click the “DSmobileSCAN II” link to download the application. Open the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install the application on your computer.
- You can also perform calibration using any TWAIN-compatible scanning application.
- If you no longer have the calibration sheet that came with the DSmobile 600, you can download and print a calibration sheet from Brother's website (link in Resources). Print the sheet on glossy paper, if possible. Please note that Brother recommends the sheet that comes with your scanner for optimum calibration. You can order a new calibration sheet from Brothermall.com, Brother Part Number LD6320001.
- If you don't have access to a printer, you can also use a plain white sheet of paper to calibrate the DSmobile 600. Fold the piece of paper in half and insert the end opposite the fold into the scanner. Be aware, however, that the results of the calibration will not be as accurate as those produced with the calibration sheet.
- Depending on your operating system, you may need to install updated drivers to ensure that the calibration process works properly. To update your drivers, visit the Online Solutions Center (link in Resources), select your operating system and then click the “Scanner Driver” link in the Drivers section. Open the downloaded file to install updated drivers on your computer. You may be prompted to restart your computer after installation is complete.
- You must be logged in with Administrative privileges to perform a scanner calibration.