How to Aim a Yagi Antennaby William Lynch
The Yagi antenna is a powerful form of directional antenna that may enhance cell phone and Wi-Fi reception. Because it relies on clear line-of-sight for optimum results, aiming a Yagi antenna requires precision to ensure it's pointed directly at its desired signal source. A poorly aligned antenna greatly reduces signal reception and compromises device performance.
Mount the Yagi antenna horizontally with its elements in a vertical position pointing straight up and down.
Position the Yagi antenna directly at the targeted cell tower or signal source. Try to achieve the most direct, unobstructed line of sight between the antenna and the signal source.
Connect your cell phone to the Yagi antenna via the external adapter and coaxial cable.
Set your cell phone to Test Mode. The exact instructions will vary by phone. If uncertain how to access Test Mode, please consult your phone's owner's manual for precise directions.
Turn the Yagi antenna 10 degrees. Wait a few seconds for your cell phone to update. Note the phone's signal strength. Repeat the step, turning the antenna 10 degrees and noting the signal strength, until you find the best possible reception.
Fully tighten the mounting clamps to secure the Yagi antenna in place. Disconnect the external cell phone adapter and coaxial cable.
- Make certain the Yagi antenna has at least three feet of clearance on all sides.
- To avoid potential interference, never mount the antenna so it has to point across the building. The antenna should always point away from the building to prevent unwanted feedback.
- Never touch the antenna while testing signal reception. Remaining in physical contact with the antenna may affect signal strength.
- When considering the antenna's signal results, remember the readings are presented in negative numbers and that the larger the number, the stronger the signal. For example, a signal reading of -60 is superior to a reading of -85.
- When aiming the Yagi antenna, take extreme caution to make certain the antenna does not come in contact with electrical power lines.
Items you will need
- External cell phone adapter
- Coaxial cable
- Photos.com/Photos.com/Getty Images