How to Add Songs From iTunes to FL Studioby Andrew Tennyson
FL Studio 11 has a dedicated Open Sound Files tool designed to help you import audio into the program. FL Studio is compatible with audio files in the MP3 and WAV file formats. Once you’ve added songs from your iTunes library, you can edit them as you would tracks created in FL Studio. Before sharing any projects that include modified music by other artists, make sure you’ve obtained permission from the original creator.
Click “Channels” on the main menu in FL Studio, select “Add one” and then choose “Audio clip” to create a new channel for the song you want to import from iTunes.
Click the “Audio Clip” channel button to open the Audio Clip channel settings window if it doesn’t open automatically.
Click the “Open sound files” button (resembling a file folder) and browse to your iTunes media library. On Windows 8 computers, your iTunes library is located in the directory "C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\" where "username" is the name of your Windows user account.
Select the song you want to import and click “Open.”
Click the “Draw” button (resembling a pencil) on the Playlist window tools menu to initiate the Draw tool.
Click your mouse at the location in your project where you want to insert your iTunes song.
- If the song you want to import from your iTunes library is not in the WAV or MP3 file format, convert it before you can import it into FL Studio.
- If you’re having trouble locating your iTunes media library, use iTunes to find it. Open iTunes, click “Edit” on the main menu and select “Preferences.” Click the “Advanced” icon to display the location of your media library. The location is displayed under the iTunes Media Folder Location heading.
- Depending on how you imported songs into iTunes, they may not all show up in your iTunes media library. If you dragged and dropped an MP3 file into iTunes, for example, iTunes plays the file from its original location rather than importing it into the library. If the song you want to import into iTunes doesn't show up in your library folder, use the File Explorer application on your Windows 8 computer to locate the file. Press “Ctrl-E” to open File Explorer and enter the name of the song in the Search field. Make a note of its location and then browse to this location after clicking the “Open Sound Files” button in FL Studio.
- To export a finished project from FL Studio, click “File” on the main menu and select “Export.” Select “MP3” as the output format, choose your desired bit rate and then click “Start.” To then import this file into iTunes, open iTunes, click “File” and select “Add to Library.” Browse to the exported FL Studio file and double-click it to import it into iTunes.
- Andersen Ross/Blend Images/Getty Images