How to Add a Past-Due Amount to an Invoice in QuickBooksby Steve Gregory
By default, a QuickBooks invoice template omits the total balance information -- which includes past-due amounts -- for a customer or job. To add a customer’s total current balance or the total balance due on a job to an invoice, you have to edit the invoice template’s options through the Additional Customization window. Although sending a statement will inform a customer of the current status of his account, adding the total balance amount to his current invoice will serve as an additional reminder to get his account up to date.
Click "Create Invoices" in the Customers section on the QuickBooks Home page.
Click the "Formatting" tab and select "Manage Templates." Select the invoice template that you want to edit from the Select Template box, and then click the "Copy" button.
Enter a name for the template in the "Template Name" field in the Preview box, and then click the "OK" button to open the Basic Customization window.
Click the "Additional Customization" button, and then click the "Footer" tab.
Select the "Customer Total Balance" check box in the Print column to add the total balance owed by the customer up to the date of the invoice. Select the "Job Total Balance" check box in the Print column to add the total balance for the job up to the date of the invoice.
Click the "OK" button to save the changes.
- Information in this article applies to QuickBooks Pro 2014. Instructions may vary slightly or significantly with other versions of the program.
- If you get a warning from QuickBooks about overlapping fields after you select the Customer Total Balance or Job Total Balance check box on the Additional Customization window, you need to edit the invoice's layout with the Layout Designer. Click the "Layout Designer" button on the Additional Customization window. Click the object that is overlapping to select it, and then drag it to a new location. Click the "OK" button to save the new layout.
- QuickBooks 2014 The Missing Manual; Bonnie Biafore
- Intuit QuickBooks Support: Show a Customer or Job Balance Due On A Customer Invoice
- Intuit QuickBooks Support: Move Objects on a Form (Layout Designer)
- Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images