How to Activate an Old Verizon Cellphone With My Current Cell Phone Numberby Michelle Carvo ; Updated October 05, 2017
Verizon allows you to activate new or old devices on your account at any time and typically without a charge. You can activate an old phone on your existing Verizon number using a SIM card and Verizon’s activation system.
Activate With SIM Card
Some cell phones require a SIM card to work on the Verizon network. The first step of activating an old Verizon phone that uses a SIM card on your existing number is to use a SIM card that's been activated for the number or obtain a new SIM card from Verizon.
Check the user manual for the phone you would like to activate on Verizon to see what type of SIM card it may need. Common SIM card types include the Mini SIM, Micro SIM and Nano SIM. Each varies in size and the Nano SIM is currently the most commonly used on recent devices. If you have an unused SIM card from another device that is the same type as your phone that you would like to activate on the Verizon network then you can use this SIM card.
Alternatively, if your SIM card is not compatible then you can request one from Verizon either via their website or from a local store. Verizon typically does not charge anything for a SIM card.
Follow the instructions to activate your SIM card on My Verizon.
Activate With My Verizon
You can activate your old Verizon phone on an existing line by doing the following:
- Log into your Verizon account, click “My Account” and then click “Activate, Switch or Bring Your Own Device.” Select the existing line that you want to activate your device on. Select either “No” to indicate that this is the first time the device is being used on your account or select “Yes” to indicate that the device has been used before on the same Verizon account.
- Click “Text Me the Code” when asked where you would like the authorization code to be sent to. Wait for Verizon to send an authorization code to proceed with the activation process. This is done for security purposes.
- Type in the code and then type in your SIM card number for the cell phone that you are activating on your existing line. You can find your SIM card number on the SIM card itself or your phone’s Settings section. Skip this section if your phone does not use a SIM card.
- Select an equipment protection option if prompted to and click “Confirm.” Select a new plan if prompted to and then click “Confirm” again.
- Turn your newly activated phone on when prompted to by Verizon to complete the activation process.
Activate With Verizon Stores/Phone Support
If you do not want to activate your phone online or have difficulty in activating your phone online then you can instead do it over the phone. Call Verizon and request to activate an old phone on an existing line and follow their directions for doing so. You can also bring the phone and SIM card into a local Verizon store to have them activate the device on your Verizon account.
- check Charge the battery so it doesn't die during the process.
- close Old Verizon phones can only be used with Verizon services because they don't have SIM cards like other wireless providers.
- photo_camera Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images