How Do I Breed a Charizard in "Pokemon Fire Red"?

By Mitch Reid

Updated September 22, 2017

Breeding Pokemon is one way of building your team of creatures in the "Pokemon" video game series. Pokemon hatched from eggs have access to moves that may not usually be available to its species. You will first need to find a mate from either the Monster egg group or Dragon egg group to breed Charizard in "Pokemon FireRed." Afterward, you can take these Pokemon to the Day Care on Floe Island to begin the breeding process.

Add Charizard to your active party. The only way to obtain Charizard if you don't already have one is by choosing Charmander as your starter Pokemon and then training it to level 36, at which point it becomes Charizard.

Capture a Pokemon that belongs to the Dragon or Monster egg group. The Dragon egg group encompasses reptilian and serpentine species, such as Dratini, Ekans and Seadra. The Monster egg group offers more options; some examples of Pokemon in this egg group are Cubone, Squirtle, Rhyhorn and Lapras.

Fly to Vermilion City in central Kanto.

Go to the harbor in the south section of Vermilion City.

Board a Seagallop Ferry destined for Floe Island in the Sevii Islands archipelago.

Go the Pokemon Day Care on Floe Island. The Day Care is north from the island’s harbor.

Talk to the owner of the Day Care. She will offer to watch two of your Pokemon, so leave Charizard and its potential mate.

Check the compatibility of the two Pokemon at the Day Care by talking to the elderly man outside the building. Find a new mate for Charizard if the Pokemon don’t like each other.

Walk 256 steps away from the Day Care. The owner will give you an egg when you return. The egg will hatch into Charmander if the Charizard is female, which will grow into another Charizard. The newborn Pokemon will belong to the same species as its mother if Charizard is male.


Charmander may come armed with an attack it usually cannot learn depending on its father. For example, Charmander may possess Ancient Power, a Rock-type move, if the father is a Cubone or Marawak. It may have Outrage, a Dragon-type attack, if the father is Dratini, Dragonair or Dragonite.