How to Make a Hyperlink on Notepad++by Nick Peers
Notepad++ supports all HTML tags, so you can use it to insert all types of hyperlinks into your pages. Although hyperlinks are not clickable in Notepad++ by default, you can make them clickable by changing the settings of the program. After you change the settings, you can test your links by clicking them; links are opened using the default Web browser. This feature is especially useful to test links to pages stored in different folders within your website.
Launch Notepad++, click "Settings" and then choose "Preferences" from the menu to display the Preferences window.
Select "MISC" from the left navigation pane and then check the "Enable" box in the Clickable Link Settings section to make links clickable. Click "Close" to close the Preferences window.
Click "File" and choose "Open" if you want to open an existing Web page. Choose "New" instead of "Open" if you want to create a new page.
Browse through the code until you find the spot where you want to insert the hyperlink. Position the insertion cursor after the last tag and press "Enter" to insert a blank line.
Type <a href="URL"> at the beginning of the new line. Replace "URL" with the URL of the link. You must include the "http://" part of the URL if you want the hyperlink to point to another website. If you want it to point to a page within your website, use only the name of the page, including the HTM or HTML extension. If you want the link to point to an anchor within your page, use "#AnchorName" (without the quotation marks).
Type the text of the hyperlink immediately after the <a> tag. This is the text that appears on the page and can be clicked.
Close the tag by typing "</a>" (without the quotation marks) immediately after the hyperlink text. Here is a working example of a hyperlink:
<a href="http://www.example.com">Link text goes here</a>.
- check You must close and reopen the Web page after you make links clickable in Notepad++.
- check The tag is supported by all major Web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer.
- check The tag supports all HTML Global attributes and Event attributes.
- close Information in this article applies to Notepad++ 6.5.1. Procedures may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- photo_camera Comstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images