How to Lock Your Messages With Cydiaby Jeff Grundy
You can capture and download all sorts of media with your iPhone. So you might allow others to hold your phone occasionally to browse pictures or videos you've saved. If you hand your iPhone to someone, though, there is always a chance that the person may attempt to view private messages. If you want to protect your private messages on a jailbroken iPhone when the passcode is not active -- whether it's because someone uses your phone or you leave it unattended -- download and install an app that locks your messages automatically.
Press the "Home" button and then tap "Cydia." Log in to Cydia with your Facebook or Google account.
Tap the "Search" button and then type "LockMessages" into the search box. Tap the "Search" button again and wait a few seconds for the LockMessages app to appear in the search results.
Tap the "LockMessages" entry in the search results. Tap "Install" on the Details screen, and then tap "Confirm" when prompted. Wait a few seconds for Cydia to install the LockMessages app on the iPhone, and then tap "Close Window" when prompted.
Press "Home" and tap "LockMessages" on the springboard.
Slide the "Lock Message App" switch to the "ON" position, and then tap "Change Passcode."
Tap in a new passcode and re-enter it confirm. Tap "Done" to complete the passcode change and lock the message app on the iPhone.
Tap "Messages" on the springboard, and then enter the new passcode to unlock the messaging app on your iPhone.
Open Cydia on your iPhone and search for "LockDown." Download and install the app to your phone.
Tap the "LockDown" icon on the springboard. Tap inside the "Safety Word" field and enter a word that you can use to reset your LockDown password in case you forget it.
Enter a password for locked apps in the Password field, and then type it again in the Confirm field. Tap the "Continue" bar.
Scroll down the list of apps, select the Mail app and tap "Lock." Scroll down to and tap "Messages," and then tap "Lock." Lock any other apps on the phone as needed.
Tap "Mail" or "Messages" on the springboard and enter your LockDown password when prompted to open the selected app.
Press the "Home" button, tap "Cydia" and search for "BeyondSMS." Download and install the BeyondSMS app to your iPhone.
Press "Home" and tap "Settings." Tap "BeyondSMS" in the Settings menu.
Slide the "Enabled" switch for BeyondSMS to the "ON" position. Tap the "Change Passcode" bar, enter a four-digit code for the app and tap "Done."
Tap "Messages" on the springboard and enter your BeyondSMS passcode to view your messages.
- check BeyondSMS includes additional features for locking or hiding conversations. To enable locking for particular conversations in the messaging app, slide the "Lock Conversation" switch to the "ON" position on the BeyondSMS settings screen. This provides extra security if you want to show someone certain conversations on your iPhone but make others private. Enable the "Conversation Hiding" function if you want to select and hide certain conversations on the iPhone, making them invisible in the regular message list.
- close You must have the BigBoss repository installed in Cydia to download the above apps. Most modern Cydia installations include the BigBoss repository by default. If your Cydia installation does not include this repository, you can add it by clicking "Manage" and "Sources." Select the BigBoss repository and click "Add Source."
- link AppAdvice: How to Use Cydia – A Walkthrough
- link Redmond Pie: Safeguard Your Text Messages On iPhone From Prying Eyes With LockMessages [Cydia Tweak]
- link Redmond Pie: BeyondSMS For iPhone Significantly Improves Your Messaging Experience With Live Camera Wallpaper Support [Jailbreak App]
- link Daily iPhone Blog: Cydia App – BeyondSMS
- link iPho9: Lockdown Cydia Tweak - How To Lock Messaging on iPhone
- photo_camera Justin Sullivan/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Click here to provide feedback on this article