How to Add eBooks to Koboby Nick Peers
The Kobo eBook reader is able to display books in EPUB and PDF formats. If the books are not protected by digital rights management, you can transfer them to the reader without using any additional software. If, however, the books are protected by DRM, you must use the Adobe Digital Editions software to transfer the books to the Kobo. Although you can download and use the Adobe Digital Editions software for free, you need an Adobe ID. Note that Adobe DRM PDFs downloaded from the Kobo store, as well as eBooks from other stores, must be transferred through Digital Editions.
Transferring DRM-free EBooks
Connect the Kobo reader to your computer by using the USB cable that was shipped with the device. The reader displays the "Computer Detected" screen.
Tap the "Connect" option on the Kobo reader. Windows immediately detects the reader as an external storage device. If you want to keep reading, tap "Cancel" instead of "Connect."
Press "Windows-X" and choose "File Explorer" from the Power User menu to launch the File Explorer app.
Open the folder that contains the eBooks you want to transfer to the reader, select the files and then press "Ctrl-C" to copy them to the clipboard. To select several files, hold "Ctrl" and click each file. To select everything in the folder, including subfolders, press "Ctrl-A."
Select the drive Windows assigned to your Kobo and then press "Ctrl-V" to transfer the eBooks from the clipboard to the eBook reader.
Disconnect the USB cable from the Kobo after the transfer is complete.
Transferring DRM-protected EBooks
Connect the Kobo reader to your computer using the USB cable and select the "Manage Library" option on the reader.
Launch the Adobe Digital Editions software on the computer. If the software is running in the background when you connect the reader, you need to restart the software. The Device Setup Assistant window displays in Digital Editions.
Click "Authorize Device" and then click "Finish" to authorize the Kobo with Adobe. The reader is listed in the Bookshelves list immediately after you authorize it.
Click "Library," choose "Add Item to Library" from the menu, select the eBooks and then click "Add" to add them to the Digital Editions library. If some eBooks are in ACSM format, double-click them in File Explorer to open them in Adobe Digital Editions. The software automatically downloads the eBooks and adds them to its library.
Drag and drop the eBooks from the Digital Editions library onto the Kobo reader icon to transfer them to the device.
- check EBooks are transferred from the Kobo Store to your reader over the wireless connection immediately after you purchase them. If you purchased books from your computer or another device, turn on the Kobo and tap the "Sync" icon to add them to the reader.
- check You can drag and drop the eBooks from their folder onto the Kobo drive to transfer them to the reader.
- check ACSM files are licenses for books. If the license is valid, Digital Editions downloads the eBook in EPUB or PDF format automatically after you double-click the ACSM file.
- check DRM protects media from unauthorized actions, such as copying and sharing. Because most eBooks in eBook stores are protected by DRM, you need to use Digital Editions to transfer them to your Kobo reader.
- check Adobe Digital Editions enables you to transfer books downloaded from the Kobo Store to eBook readers produced by other companies.
- check You can create an Adobe ID from the official Adobe website and download Digital Editions from the "Download Adobe Digital Editions" page (link in Resources).
- close Do not disconnect the USB cable from the reader or the computer while the transfer is in progress.
- close You can't transfer DRM-protected eBooks to the Kobo through the File Explorer app.
Items you will need
- photo_camera nurulanga/iStock/Getty Images